SH Contemporary 2012 takes place from September 7th to 9th, with preview on the 6th, in downtown Shanghai, at the extraordinary Shanghai Exhibition Center, and with a joint 4-day programme of openings, studio visits and events, in cooperation with the city’s leading galleries and cultural initiatives.
Serving primarily the development of the region’s art markets, SH Contemporary is an efficient commercial platform and a curatorially-led project, displaying the most interesting new finds in contemporary art to discerning international collectors and art lovers.
The 2012 edition is an outstanding show with over 90 exhibitors from 18 countries, over 30 Chinese contemporary art museums, strong special projects, a captivating series of talks and conferences, activities involving the city’s main museums and galleries; that’s what attracted over 600 collectors from all over the world and over 35,000 visitors to the Shanghai Exhibition Center for SH Contemporary 2012.
SH Contemporary 2012 is organized into 2 main sections juxtaposing and amplifying cutting-edge and emerging art:
1. The Art Show features over 90 selected exhibitors, including top galleries and sectors dedicated to young galleries and galleries specialized in photography and prints, and private collections and institutions
2. SH Contemporary Projects, coordinated by Arthub Asia’s network of curators with the support of participating galleries, highlights the work of leading Chinese and international talents into different sections:
• Now Ink is an ongoing exhibition initiated with last edition of SH Contemporary, focusing on new ink and calligraphy-related multimedia works.
• Hot Spots is dedicated to large scale and site specific projects, and on-site performances, by established artists, including this year a series of monumental commissioned pieces by contemporary Indian sculptors. Developed in co-operation with The Creative India Foundation and its director Diana Campbell.
• First Issue is built around the newest works by young artists who had their first important presentations in 2011-12. A true reseach tool for collectors.
• The Video Room is dedicated to the latest developments in moving image and new media.
• The 2nd edition of The Asia Pacific Photography Prize will be awarded by a prestigious jury of international photographers, editors, curators and critics.
Moreover, SH Contemporary 2012 will feature an extensive cycle of panel discussions and talks:
• Conversations is a cycle of conferences addressing issues regarding the region’s art markets and their relationships.
• Pillow Talks is a new series of intimate conversations among artists, critics, curators, gallerists, and collectors friends.
• Premiered during SH Contemporary 2011 to help bridging galleries and museum collections, the Private Museum Alliance - hosted by Le Royal Méridien Shanghai (by invitation only) - will bring for the second time to the fair a consortium of 28 museums based in mainland China, both public and private.
• The first edition of The Asian Curators Meeting - hosted by Le Royal Méridien Shanghai - will focus on the way non-Asian institutions collect, display and egage with contemporary Asian artists and art.
Finally, the fair is complemented by:
• Shanghai in Art, a full VIP program and a series of activities and events organized by, and in collaboration with, the city’s leading galleries, museums and cultural institutions.